Sunday, June 10, 2007

In Brief...

We just got back from Switzerland, and now I have to pack up all my bags for a flight to London, where I will be staying for the next week. The race started out really well with the team finishing second in the team time trial. It was awesome standing on the podium. The second day went downhill very quickly. I was sick from food poisoning and lost a lot of time on the climbs. I just felt horrible the entire day. The third day was a little better, except instead of being sick, I had horrible luck. My pedal fell off and I had to chase back on. Then our highest placed GC rider crashed, so I had to bring him back up. Then I teamed up with a couple of Spainards to chase a break away down, only to have the course marshals lead us off course. So I finished off the back of the pack again. We had a TT later that day, and it went ok. My legs were pretty smashed after the previous day's effort to just stay in the race. On the final day, I finally had good luck and good health on my side. I was able to help out the "team leader" (since I wasn't in contention for the win, I helped out Taylor Phiney as much as I could). I patrolled the front the entire day: covering breaks, and making sure nothing got away without Taylor in it. Unfortunately, taylor wasn't having a very good day, so it became even more important to keep the field together. After three climbs, the front group was reduced to about 45 riders from the 115 that started the day. It came down to a sprint, and after making sure Taylor got to the front, I crossed the line in 19th. The over all race should have gone a lot better. It is dissapointing to start in such a good spot after the prologue, and then lose it all on the next day.

I will try and write a more detailed summary of our trip in Switzerland if I can find some internet in London, but now i have to get back to packing...

3 comments:

oldfart said...

Thanks for your blog ! Alice and I send our best - enjoy London - go to the British War museum !! Travel safe , our prayers are w/ you.
Love , Poppy and Alicia

Anonymous said...

Head up, Grant! Sendin' successful wishes from Phoenix to you in England... Love, Aunt Jen

Anonymous said...

i had food poisoning too, it sucks
well if you can in your next blog, please tell us what date you are supposed to come home
Peace Easy, and good luck,

VANCE